RSS Feeds Errors
|Reported by:||GautamGupta||Owned by:||chrishajer|
1) #1181: There's an issue with RSS feeds not validating. The problem appears to stem from » in the titles (rss.php) so I swapped them all with ::. It now validates. It did work fine in Safari, but Firefox and IE threw up errors. Example
2) #1260: According to this page, the TextInput? field (used for search) should not be used as most aggregators ignore it. Fewer than one percent of surveyed RSS feeds included the element. The only aggregators known to support it are BottomFeeder? and Liferea.
3) #1209: (i) The favorites URL (e.g. rss.php?profile=1) was interpreted as unformatted XML -- there was an error message and the entire markup was displayed. I eventually discovered this was caused by an <a> tag inside the channel's <link> tag. By changing the bb_get_profile_link call to a get_user_profile_link call in rss.php I got the URL without the tag, and the feed was interpreted correctly. Incidentally, I also noticed a couple other things about the script that seemed a bit off:
(ii) There are a number of calls to die() if the feed turns out to be empty -- seems like either an empty feed or an error page would be preferable to this silent failure.
(iii) The bb_send_304() call doesn't take into account that the feed itself may have changed recently, e.g. threads added to a "favorites" list won't show up until activity on one of the threads causes the feed to be refreshed. (Which is not totally illogical, but it can be confusing for the user to add a favorite, refresh the feed, and still not see the newly-added thread.)